- 1 You May also Like
- 2 STEPS TO GET DIAMOND MARK PERMIT IN KENYA
How to Obtain a Diamond Export Permit in Kenya
- 3.0.1 Procedure for application of Vehicle personal Number plate
- 3.0.2 Required Documents Vehicle personal Number plate
- 3.0.3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 3.0.4 Eligibility – Vehicle personal Number plate
- 3.0.5 Fees for Vehicle personal Number plate
- 3.0.6 Validity
- 3.0.7 Processing Time
- 3.0.8 Instructions
- 3.0.9 Required Information
- 3.0.10 Need for the Document
- 3.0.11 Information which might help
- 3.0.12 External Links
All vehicles operating in Kenya need to be registered to be allowed on the road. For a while, car registration has been reserved to brokers and has been considered very tasking. By some luck, though things seem to be taking on a new shape and in less than five days you should have your plate ready. We are going to show you How to Applying for a Motor Vehicle personal Number plate in Kenya in this article
The Kenya revenue authority under the Road transport departments handles vehicle registration in Kenya. The registration and licensing of vehicles is the exclusive task of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
Procedure for application of Vehicle personal Number plate
1.Receiving officer receives application documents from the applicant at the registration counter and checks them against a check list to confirm that all are presented.
2.The receiving officer attaches a check list to the lodged documents and records critical information of the documents to a register.
3.Certificate of clearance (COC) is retrieved and attached to the application documents.
4.The documents are examined to ensure that details of the vehicle are in order and the lodged papers are genuine. If the examining officer is satisfied that the documents are in order he/she recommends for approval, otherwise they are rejected
5.The recommended documents are passed on to the approving officer who examines the documents further and if satisfied that they are in order, approves for registration by signing and stamping.
6.The basic data of the vehicle is captured in the cash receipting system (CRS) to enable for registration fees collection. The amount payable is communicated to the applicant.
7.The documents are forwarded to the cash counter for payment of registration fees. Amount payable is obtainable in the cash receipting system once the engine capacity is keyed in.
8.Number plate, if approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, is allocated and a sticker indicating the number is affixed on the application form A
9.Scanning of form A and certificate of clearance is done
10.The applicant is issued with the number plates as soon as they are ready, and road license for the vehicle after vehicle details are recorded. He /she sign a number plates issuing register
Required Documents Vehicle personal Number plate
- Duty and VAT receipts
- Import entry form (Form 63)
- Foreign log book translated into English
- Port Release Order
- Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
- Clean Report of Findings (CRF)
- Import Declaration Form (IDF)
- Authority to enter goods for home use from the Commissioner of Customs & Excise
- Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) if the vehicle is for commercial use.
- A temporary Importation Document (Form C44A or C44)
- Road manifest or Carnet de Passages in the case of vehicles imported by road
- Foreign Vehicle Receipt/License
- Personal Identification Certificate Number (PIN) card
- Certified copy of national identity card of vehicle owner or valid Passport.
- Insurance cover
- A dully filled Form “A” personally signed by the Importer.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of transport and Infrastructure
Transcom House, NGONG ROAD
P.O Box 52692 00200,
Eligibility – Vehicle personal Number plate
For one to be eligible, you must have a private vehicle.
Fees for Vehicle personal Number plate
- It costs KSH. 1,000,000/= (one million) to register a personalized car number plate.
- For replacement of lost or defaced personal plate is Ksh. 50,000/=
- The annual charge is Ksh. 50,000/=
The applicant has to pay annually.
It may take 3-5 days working days since an order has to be placed.
- It should contain a maximum of seven characters, and a minimum of four characters.
- The characters must be in capital letters
- It must be embossed in blue, with a reflective white background for both front and back plates.
- Any signs, symbols or names which may be deemed abusive or offensive are prohibited
1.The message to be displayed on the number plate
2.Proof that the applicant is the registered owner of the vehicle
Need for the Document
A personal number plate is a number plate that is customized to the owners request. It can be a nickname or a personalized message.
Information which might help
If a person intends to transfer the personalized identification plates to another motor vehicle upon disposal of the vehicle which initially had the personalized identification plate, a retention certificate may be issued by the Authority for a period not exceeding six months.
Classes of motor vehicles that may not be issued with personalized identification plates include:
a)Public Service Vehicles
b)Cargo trucks (either private or for hire)
c)Service vehicles, i.e ambulance and funeral hearse