- 1 You May also Like
- 2 Bungoma County
How to Obtain a Death Certificate in Kenya
- 3.0.1 Procedure
- 3.0.2 Required Documents
- 3.0.3 Office Locations & Contacts – Biometric Passport in Kenya
- 3.0.4 Eligibility
- 3.0.5 Fees
- 3.0.6 Validity
- 3.0.7 Documents to Use
- 3.0.8 Processing Time – Biometric Passport in Kenya
- 3.0.9 Instructions
- 3.0.10 Required Information
- 3.0.11 Need for the Document
- 3.0.12 Information which might help
- 3.0.13 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 3.0.14 External Links
Application for ordinary/ East African Passport (First application) The applicant shall submit an application for the passport in person in the prescribed manner i.e. e-Passport Guide to Apply for Biometric Passport in Kenya
The Immigration Department has offered a reprieve Kenyans who have had to queue for long hours to apply and collect their passports after application.
A statement issued on August 25 said the Department has introduced a booking system where applicants specify the date and time they wish to have their biometrics taken and another date to collect the passport.
“Those who have already made online applications are advised to revisit the e-citizen portal and book their appointments,” the statement reads.
Public officials with urgent assignments abroad, sick persons, students and business executives with urgent engagements abroad are however exempted from this directive. They will be required to provide proof of the travel details.
Below are steps to follow when making an appointment for the e-passport application:
If you do not already have an account here, this should be the first step. Registration is free. Select Department of Immigration Services – e-passport by clicking on the ‘Get Service’ icon
An application shall be accompanied by:-
- Documentary evidence of Kenyan citizenship i.e. Original & copies of birth Certificate and National Identity Card, or a Certificate of naturalization or registration and Renunciation Certificate of former citizenship. Current clear and un-mounted three passport size photographs as may be directed by the Passport Control Officer.
- The Application must be recommended in section ‘7’ by a citizen of Kenya such as Minister of religion, a Minister or Legal Practitioner, an established Civil Servant or Bank Official personally acquainted with the applicant, but not by immediate relatives. The recommender must attach a copy of his/her National ID or passport.
- In the case of an applicant who is below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardians written consent.
- In case of an applicant who is adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
- Prescribed fee.
The Passport Control Officer may require the applicant for a passport to produce supplementary information so as to ascertain the citizenship or nationality of the applicant. These may include the applicants parents birth certificate, national identity card, or certificate of naturalization or registration.
Step 1: Make Online Application
- The first step is to register on eCitizen through the following link eCitizen . You will need your National ID number, email address and a phone number to complete the registration.
- You will then need to login to the eCitizen platform after successful registration and navigate to Department of Immigration Services and then submit application.
- Click on “Get service now”, then select the Blue button ” Make Application” on the next window.
- Click on the Plus (+) sign on the Kenyan ePassport tab and select the type of passport you want to apply.
- Choose the form that applies to you, you will then be directed to a page that has the application guidelines + costs. At the bottom of it you will then need to click on apply now, to get to the online application form.
- The online application form will require the applicant to fill all the details. After you fill all the details you will then be asked to review the form and ascertain that the details therein are correct. If everything is okay then you should click continue.<
- You will be directed to the payments page. The modes are: M- Pesa, Debit Card, Credit Card, Prepaid Debit Card, Airtel Money and eCitizen Agent.
- You should choose your preferred payment method and then pay. The fee payable are found at the “Fee” section of these page.Kindly note that payments via Debit/Credit/Prepaid Cards attract an extra 2.5% handling fee.
- You should then print your filled application and three copies of the invoice to present to the immigration department offices.
Step 2: Visit immigration offices to complete application
- After printing the application and invoice you are required to visit an immigration office in Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu for collection of fingerprints, digital photo and signature and also to drop required documents.
- You must appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture in immigration office in Nairobi, Mombasa or Kisumu.
- You must present the following documents to the immigration offices
i. An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.ii. Original birth certificate and photocopy.
iii. Original National ID Card and photocopy.
iv. Three Current passport size photos.
v. Recommenders ID card copy.
vi. Parents National ID cards copies or Death Certificate if deceased.
vii. For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardian’s written consent must be provided.
viii. For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the children’s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
- After lodging the application the passport will be ready for collection at the immigration office after 10 working days.
- You are required to bring proof of identification when collecting the passport. You can also track the application progress through your e-Citizen account.
- You will be contacted through text and/or email when to collect your passport.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Recommender’s ID Card copy.
- Consent letter for minors. The consent letter can be downloaded through the following link .Consent letter
- Old passport for replacement.
- Parents National ID cards and copy
Office Locations & Contacts – Biometric Passport in Kenya
- eCitizen -Department of Immigration Services :eCitizen
Department of Immigration Services
Passport Section Ground Floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/ Uhuru Highway
P.O. Box 30191, 00100 Nairobi.
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544,+254-20-2218833
Website:Ministy of Immigration
Mombasa-Immigration Department Office
PC’s Office Building
Kisumu-Immigration Department Office
New Provincial Headquarters
- One need to be an Kenyan citizen
- The child needs to be born of Kenyan parents.
32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series Kshs. 4,550
48 pages Ordinary “B” Series Kshs. 6,050
64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series Kshs. 7,550
East African Passport Kshs. 990
Diplomatic passport (48 page) Kshs 7,550
Mutilated Passport Kshs 10,050
Lost Passport Kshs 12,050
- Kenyan passports are valid for a period of 10 years after date of issuance.
Documents to Use
Processing Time – Biometric Passport in Kenya
- It should take atleast 10 working days to get your first passport once your form has been physically submitted at the Immigration offices.
- For all other application types, it should take atleast 5 working days.
- It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
STEPS OF APPLICATION
- Register on eCitizen
- Go to The Department of Immigration and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
- Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
- Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
- Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices.( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
- Full name
- Valid identity proof
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Birth certificate number
- Telephone number
- Referee full names
- Referee ID number
- Maiden names for married women
- Husbands full name in case of married women
- Date of married
- Place of marriage Biometric Passport in Kenya
Need for the Document
- The document is used for identification purposes.
- The document is required to allow one to traveling across international borders.
Information which might help
- You can apply for, renew or replace your passport and pay for it online. You’ll have to print out a form at the end. You must sign and date the form, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and return it for processing.
- You’ll pay using mobile money, Credit, Debit Cards and online banking from local banks.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- The document is needed when applying or a travel visa or work permit.
- Passport Information