- 1 You May also Like
- 2 How to Obtain a Certificate of Movement in Kenya
License application to Make a Film /Take Commercial Still Photograph in Kenya
- 3.0.1 Office Locations & Contacts
- 3.0.2 Eligibility for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- 3.0.3 Fees for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- 3.0.4 Validity for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- 3.0.5 Documents to Use for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- 3.0.6 Processing Time
- 3.0.7 Instructions for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- 3.0.8 Required Information
- 3.0.9 Need for the Document
- 3.0.10 Information which might help
- 3.0.11 External Links
- 3.0.12 Others
How long does it take before my visa application is processed? Processing of your application by the government of Kenya takes up to 72 hours. On average we deliver the visa within 48 hours. The Tourist Visa is issued to persons whose nationalities require visa to enter Kenya either for tourism. It is issued for a limited period of leisure travel and no business activities allowed using this visa. The following is a Procedure on How to Apply for a Kenyan Tourist Visa
- The first step is to register on eCitizen through the following link eCitizen Online Platform. Click on create account then click on the create an Account icon under the eVisa tab.
- You will need to fill in your personal information so to register for an eCitizen account. This includes your Passport number, Name, Email address and nationality to complete the registration.
- Once you have registered you will then need to login to your eCitizen account and navigate to Department of Immigration Services and then submit application.
- Click on “Get service now”, then select the Blue button” Make Application” on the next window.
- Click on the Plus (+) sign on the Kenyan Visa tab and select Apply for a Single Entry Visa
- Read the instructions carefully; make sure you have all the requirements to make the application and then click on the Apply Now button which will direct you to the online application form.
- Fill in the online application form with all the required details and upload supporting documents. These details include:-
(a). Traveller information ( Name, Date and place of birth, Occupation, Parents names)
(b). Nationality and residence ( Nationality, Country of residence, Physical address in country of residence, Phone number)
(c). Passport/ Travel documents information ( Passport number, Date of issue, Expiry date )
(d). Travel information
(i). Reason for travel. Select your reason for travel as Tourism
(ii). Proposed date of entry and departure from Kenya ,
(iii). Full names of friend or relative in Kenya , their physical address and telephone numbers
(iv). Full names of hotels, places or firms to be visited in Kenya.
(e). Travel history ( previous travels to Kenya , any denial of entry to any county including Kenya ,criminal history )
(f). Upload Supporting Documents (upload your passport’s bio data page ,Upload additional Documents e.g. official Invitation letter, Hotel Booking or travel Itinerary, Upload a passport size photo , select mode of arrival and point of entry)
tick declaration from and the click continue.
(g). This will direct you to the next page where you are to review your entry details. If everything is in order Click Submit button to finish.
(h). This will direct you to the next page where you are supposed to make payment for the Single Entry Tourism Visa. Make your payment using the provided payment methods provided and click on the submit button. A fee of USD $ 51 is charged for the Tourist Visa.
(i). You will receive a notification of payment receipt in your email address confirming payment.
- Once the visa is approved, the Tourist Visa will be made available in your eCitizen account. You will also receive a notification email in your email address once your visa is available. This is usually after a period of two (2) days.
- You must print a copy of the visa from your eCitizen account and carry it with your passport when you travel to Kenya.
- When you arrive in Kenya, you must have your Tourism Visa printout with your passport and present it to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
Apply in Person – Kenyan Tourist Visa
- The Tourist Visa application can also be done in person. The first step is to write a detailed and signed Cover letter requesting for the Tourist Visa addressed to the Director of Immigration Services.
- Visit the Kenya Missions/ Embassy abroad to make the application .Here you are required to present the cover letter to the immigration officer at the Kenyan Embassy. The immigration officer will provide you with Application for a Visa Form 22 to fill and submit.
- State your reason for travel to Kenya as Tourism when you fill the application form
- You should then proceed to pay the application fees for the Tourist Visa and acquire proof of payment receipt. A fee of USD 51 charged for a Tourist Visa.
- You should then attach the following documents to the application form before submission.
(i). Detailed and Signed Cover letter from the applicant addressed to the Director of Immigration Services requesting Medical Visa.(ii). Two (2) recent collared passport size photographs
(iii). Copy of a valid national passport / National ID (bio-data page) for both the applicant and the Dependant.
(iv). Valid passport with at least one blank page with clear bio-data page and photograph
(v). Valid travel document not less than six months.
(vi). Proof of financial means. Evidence that shows you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay
(vii). Roundtrip reservation or itinerary i.e. A document that includes dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit
(viii). Travel Health Insurance. Evidence that you have purchased health insurance that covers medical emergencies
(ix). Proof of payment receipts.
- You should then lodge the completed application to the Kenya mission abroad.
- After lodging the application the Tourist Visa will be ready for collection after review at the Kenya mission / Embassy after 5 working days.
- You are required to bring proof of identification when collecting the Tourist Visa
- You will be contacted through text and/or email when to collect your ready document.
Required Documents – Kenyan Tourist Visa
- Valid passport with at least one blank page with clear bio-data page and photograph
- Valid travel document not less than six months.
- Proof of financial means. Evidence that shows you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay
- Roundtrip reservation or itinerary i.e. A document that includes dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit
- Travel Health Insurance. Evidence that you have purchased health insurance that covers medical emergencies
- For Minors:
(a). Either birth certificate / proof of adoption / custody decree if parents are divorced / death certificate of parent
(b). Letter of consent from parents, including passport copies of both parents/ legal guardian
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Immigration Services
Passport Section Ground Floor,
Kenyatta Avenue/ Uhuru Highway
P.O. Box 30191, 00100 Nairobi.
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544, +254-20-2218833
Website: Department of Immigration Website
Mombasa-Immigration Department Office
PC’s Office Building
Kisumu-Immigration Department Office
New Provincial Headquarters
- eCitizen Department of Immigration Services
Eligibility for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- This is issued for single entry to persons whose nationalities require visa to enter Kenya either for business, tourism or medical purposes.
- A list of Visa exempted countries can be accessed here.
- Citizens of East Africa Member states need not to apply for a tourism visa.
Fees for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- A fees of USD $ 51 is charged for the visa.
Validity for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- A Tourist Visa to Kenya is valid for 3 months before you travel once it is issued.
- Once you present yourself to immigration control at the port of entry, you may be issued with a stay period not exceeding 90 days, which may be renewed for a further 90 days at the immigration headquarters.
Documents to Use for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- Applications are done online though the eCitizen -Department of Immigration Services
- Applications can also be done In Person by filling the following application document Application for a Visa Form 22
- It takes two days to process
Instructions for Kenyan Tourist Visa
- Click register on E-Citizen online platform.
- Select Register as a Visitor.
- Once Logged in, Select Department of Immigration services.
- Select Make Application.
- Click the plus sign on Kenyan Visa.
- Select the Apply for a Single Entry Visa, read the Instructions Carefully and click on the Apply Now button.
- Fill in the application form (select reason for travel as TOurism), upload supporting documents, review your entry then click submit.
- Make payment for the Single Enter Visa using either a Visa Card, MasterCard and/ or other Debit Cards.
- Await approval via email, then download and print the Visa from your eCitizen account.
- Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry
- Country you are making application from
- Who are you making the application for (self/ child/ agent)
- Full names
- Date, Place, Country of birth
- Fathers and Mothers name
- Current Nationality
- Country of residence
- Physical address in country of residence and phone number
- Passport number, place of issue, date of issue and expiry date
- Previous visits to Kenya.
- Previous denied entry into other country
- Criminal history
Need for the Document
- Visas are the permission granted by a sovereign nation to a traveller permitting entry for a specific purpose.
- The tourist visa is issued for single entry to persons whose nationalities require visa to enter Kenya for tourism.
- Tourist visas allow the bearer to enter a Kenya for touristic and leisure purposes only and stay for a predetermined amount of time. The visa does not entitle the holder to work or engage in any business activities in Kenya.
Information which might help
- Visa processing fee is non-refundable.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- The possession of a visa is not the final authority to enter the Republic of Kenya.
- Engaging in any form of business or employment without a requisite permit or pass is an offence.
- Please note that the medical visa is required prior to entry into Kenya.
- Please Note Children sixteen (16) year and below are exempted from visa payment and are not expected to make visa application.
- In the event of lapse during payment please do not re-apply, contact the administrator on email@example.com
- Holders of travel documents (not a national passport) should not make eVisa applications, they should apply to the director of immigration services through the nearest Kenya mission.
- The possession of a visa for Kenya is not the final authority to enter Kenya.
- The Immigration Officer at the port of entry may refuse such a person permission to enter if he is satisfied that such a visitor is unable to fulfil the immigration requirements and that the entry and presence of such a visitor, in Kenya would be contrary to national interests even though such a person may be in possession of a valid visa for Kenya, provided that any such refusal is consented to by the Director of Immigration Services Nairobi, his Deputy or Provincial Heads of Immigration at Mombasa, Kisumu, and Garissa or any other Senior Officer so authorized to deputize.
Nationals(Passport Holders)of the following countries do not require visas to enter Kenya:
|Brunei Darussalam||Namibia||The Gambia|
|Dominica||St. Kitts and Navis||Tonga|
|Fiji Island||New Guinea||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Malawi||South Africa (For less than 30 days stay)||St. Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Malaysia (For less than 30 days stay)||St. Lucia|
The Following Countries have Concluded Visa Abolition Agreement With Kenya
- San Marino
===============================================================================Nationals of the following countries require a visa. click here
TYPES OF VISAS
a) Single entry Visa US $50.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal
b) Multiple entry Visa US $100.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal
c) Transit Visa US $20.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal
d) East Africa Visa $100.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal – allow travel between Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda with the same multiple entry visa.The holder of the East Africa Tourist Visa shall enter the region from the country that issued the visa and move within the two other countries without applying for another visa or paying another visa fee.
Diplomatic, Official, Service and Courtesy visas will continue to be issued Gratis.
- Passport ( Not photocopy ) which is valid for at least six(6) months – To be submitted along with the application form.
- Completed (Filled in) Application form duly signed.
- Copy of flight Itinerary / Letter from travel agent on company letterhead confirming booking.
- Two Passport size photos, 2 inches by 2 inches (NB: Computer generated pictures are not acceptable)
- Visa Fees: Payable to Embassy of The Republic of Kenya)
- US $50.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal For Single Entry (Tourist/Visitor/Business),
- US $100.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal For Multiple Entries (Tourist/Visitor/Business),
- US $100.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal for East Africa Visa,
- US $20.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal For Single Transit
- A visa is required prior to entry into Kenya.
- No visa is required for persons on direct Transit and will not leave the airport,
- East African visas are valid for three (3) months from the issuance date
- Those travelling to Kenya with their pets must obtain pet permits
- Holders of tourist / business visa cannot engage in any form of employment whether paid or unpaid.
- Applicants who intend to conduct temporary business, trade or profession must apply for a special pass from the Director of Immigration Services in Nairobi
- Applicants seeking to undertake Internship/placement or academic research should liaise with their host organizations, institutions or companies to make applications for the necessary pass to the Director of Immigration Services in Nairobi prior to their engagements
CATEGORY 3 REFERRED VISA
Nationals (Passport Holders) of the following countries shall have their visa applications REFERRED to the Director of Immigration Services,Nairobi for approval. The processing time varies from case to case. No expedited services for Referred Visa applications.
- Valid Passport to be submitted along with the application
- Completed (Filled in) Application form duly signed.
- Two Passport size photos (NB: Computer generated pictures are not acceptable)
- A letter of Visa request from applicant.
- An Invitation letter from the host ( Person in Kenya inviting the applicant).
- A copy of Kenyan ID or Kenyan Passport of the host ( Person in Kenya inviting the applicant).
- Two separate Cashiers Check or Money Order( Payable To Embassy of The Republic of Kenya) in the amounts of:
- US$50.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal for Visa application fee,
- US$10.00 or local equivalent in Qatari Riyal (non-refundable) For Visa processing fee for Single Entry into Kenya,
- A visa is required prior to entry into Kenya.
- Applications for Reffered visa are received at the Embassy and forwarded to Department of Immigration Headquarters in Nairobi for processing.
- The processing period varies from case to case. (Determined after receipt of application and supportive documentation for reason for travel)
- Telephone queries must be made by the applicant only. Third party queries will not be reviewed.