- 1 You May also Like
- 2 How to Obtain a Death Certificate in Kenya
- 3 How to Obtain a Burial Permit in Kenya
This section will help you find information on benefits and grants that you may be eligible for as a member (or relative of a deceased member) of NSSF. It will also provide you with the information you need on how to apply for the benefits and grants to which you are entitled. Anyone wishing to apply for benefits/grants should first carefully review the information provided regarding eligibility criteria and application requirements for the benefit/grant for which he/she is applying. How to Apply for Survivor Benefits in Kenya
Procedure – Survivor Benefits in Kenya
- Pension fund application shall be submitted NOT earlier than 60 days from Member’s date of death
- To apply for survivor benefits the claimant should complete the relevant application form and submit it (in person) to his/her nearest branch office. Applications forms are available online and in all NSSF branch offices.
- After filling in the application form the applicant/claimant should approach their local administration (i.e., the administration in your home district) to endorse Application for Survivors benefits Pension/ Provident Fund form of your application . The local administration include the Chief and Asst./Deputy or County Commissioner
- Submit the completed application form together with the required documents (in person) to your nearest NSSF office.
- The NSSF officials will process your application and will remit your survivor benefits to your bank account.
- Member Statement.
- Original death certificate of the deceased member or original court Decree where the member is presumed dead
- Original death certificate of eligible dependent’s relatives who are deceased
- A copy of the deceased identity card
- A copy of the claimant(s) identity card)
- A copy of ATM/Bank card
- An EFT Authority form
- Claimant’s full set of fingerprints
- Confirmation of dependent’s by the chief and Assist/Deputy or County Commissioner from deceased home area
- Certified copy of the marriage certificate or other evidence of marriage in case the deceased was married
Office Locations & Contacts
NSSF Self Service Portal : NSSF Self Service Portal
National Social Security Fund (HQ)
P.O. Box 30599 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Main Line: (020) 2729911, 2710552
Toll Free: 0800 2212744
Cell Phone: 0722-204192, 0734-333238.
Fax: (020) 2727882, 2722013, 2711615
NSSF Branch Network: NSSF Branch Network
Eligibility – Survivor Benefits in Kenya
Following listed is the Order of Eligibility:
FIRST- SPOUSE/ SPOUSES
- Husband/ wife(s) and
(i). Minor children below 18 years (old fund)(ii). Children below 25 years of age (new fund)(iii). Minor children or those below 25yrs and are certified to be suffering from mental incapacity shall be paid through guardians.
SECOND – ALL CHILDREN
- Where both parents are deceased (Minor Children will be paid through the guardian)
THIRD – BOTH PARENTS
- Where the deceased member was NOT married, and had no children
FOURTH – BROTHER/SISTER
- Where a deceased was NOT married, had no children and both parents are deceased.
FIFTH – GRAND PARENTS
SIXTH -OTHERS/NEXT OF KIN
- Any other applicant must prove dependency and shall submit a confirmed Grant letter of administration in respect to deceased member’s Benefits.
- This application is processed free of charge.
- This process takes an approximate of three months tocomplete
- Pension fund application shall be submitted NOT earlier than 60 days from Member’s date of death.
How to apply:
- Complete the Application for Survivor’s Benefit Form
- Get your local administration (i.e., the administration in your home district) to endorse form SF/BN/SB/002A of your application
- Submit the completed application form + the required documents (in person) to your nearest NSSF office
- Particulars of deceased member ( Name, Member Number , ID Number)
- Home Particulars (Nationality , County, District , Location , Sub-Location)
- Details of employment
- Particulars of claimants (Full names, Age , ID card number , Address and telephone , relationship to deceased)
- Present home particulars
- Thumbprint of claimant(s)
- Confirmation by chief and asst./dept. or county commissioner of home district of deceased.
Need for the Document
- This benefit is paid to: This benefit is payable to the survivor(s)/dependents(s) relative(s) of a deceased member.
The dependents relatives qualify for this benefit in the following order:
- The husband/wife of the deceased member.
- All children irrespective of age or gender (if the husband/wife of the deceased member is also deceased, or if the deceased member was a single parent).
- The parents of the deceased (if the deceased member was not married and had no children)
- Sisters/brothers of the deceased (if the deceased was single, had no children, and both parents are deceased)
- The guardian to the children of the deceased member (where both the parents are deceased and all the deceased members’ children are minors)
- An applicant who has letters of administration (where all dependents are exhausted)
- Any person who fails to disclose or misrepresents any material fact whether or not such non-disclosure or misrepresentation is fraudulent and receives any benefits he is not entitled to receive as a consequence of the non-disclosure or misrepresentation is liable to repay the Benefits within 21 days.
- A person who contravenes this is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding KSHS: 300,000/- or imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or both, in accordance to NSSF ACT NO. 45 OF 2013, laws of Kenya