- 1 You May also Like
- 2 How to Obtain a Certificate of Movement in Kenya
- 3 How to Obtain a Certificate of Good Health in Kenya
A weapon, arm or armament is any implement or device that can be used with intent to inflict damage or harm. Weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as hunting, crime, law enforcement, self-defense, and warfare. In broader context, weapons may be construed to include anything used to gain a tactical, strategic, material or mental advantage over an adversary or enemy target. How to Cancel Gun License in Kenya
While ordinary objects – sticks, rocks, bottles, chairs, vehicles – can be used as weapons, many are expressly designed for the purpose; these range from simple implements such as clubs, axes and swords, to complicated modern firearms, tanks, intercontinental ballistic missiles, biological weapons, and cyberweapons. Something that has been re-purposed, converted, or enhanced to become a weapon of war is termed weaponized, such as a weaponized virus or weaponized laser.
- To cancel a firearm license the license holder has to contact the Chief Licensing Officer at the Firearms Licensing Board in person . The contact and location information of the firearm licensing board can be found through the following link. FLB Website
- The license holder has to make the application to cancel the license in writing and submit it to the Chief licensing Officer . The application form is available and is provided at the chief licensing officer’s office.
- Fill in the application form and submit it together with all the required documents mentioned in the “Required Documents” section of this page.
- The applicant also has to provide any relevant information regarding why he/she is wants to cancel the license.
- The applicant will then be required to submit his/her firearm to their firearm licensing board.
- On Completion of this process the applicant will receive the written confirmation with the approval.
- The application is free of charge
- Firearm license
- Identity documents (ID / Passport)
Office Locations & Contacts
Firearm Licensing Board
Tel: 0774 022299
Email: 0774 022299
Website: –FLB Website
Directorate of Criminal Investigations
P.O. Box 30036 – 00100 Nairobi
Mazingira Hse, Kiambu Road.
Opp. Forestry Department Headquarters, Karura
Tel +254 020 3343312.
Website: Directorate of Criminal Investigations
Kenya Police Headquarters
Vigilance House, Harambee Avenue,
PO BOX 30083,
Telephone: (020) 341411/6/8
Website: The Kenya Police
National Intelligent Service
P.O. Box 300391 – 00100 Nairobi
Tel +254 020 32225901, 254 20 344248
Website: National Intelligent Service
- Must be a holder of a firearm license .
- The application is free of charge
- The validity is forever.
- The processing time is three days.
- Full names of applicant
- Physical and postal address particulars
- Firearm license number/ details
- Reason for cancellation
Need for the Document
- This application allows a firearm licence holder to cancel his license.
- A person who has already acquired a firearm certificate/ gun license may surrender the license to the Chief Licensing Officer at the Firearms Licensing Board as a result of:
(i) Voluntary cancellation of the license.(ii) In any case where a licensing officer revokes a firearm certificate, he shall by notice in writing require the holder to surrender the firearm certificate.
Information which might help
- The Firearm Licensing Board is Responsible for regulating, licensing and controlling the manufacture, importation, exportation, transportation, sale, repair, storage, possession and use of firearms, ammunition, air guns and destructive devices.
- A firearm certificate or license may be cancelled or revoked by the Chief Licensing Officer if:-
(a) He is satisfied that the holder is prohibited by or under this Act from possessing a firearm to which the firearm certificate relates, or is of intemperate habits or unsound mind or is otherwise unfit to be entrusted with a firearm or,(b) The holder fails to comply with a notice under sub-section (5) requiring him to deliver up the firearm certificate.(i) In any case where a firearm certificate is revoked by a licensing Officer, he shall by a notice in writing, require the holder to surrender the firearm certificate, and if the holder fails to do so within fourteen days from the date of the notice, he shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding one thousand shillings.(ii) Provide that, where an appeal is brought against the revocation, this subsection shall not apply to that revocation unless the appeal is abandoned or dismissed, and shall, in that case, have effect as if for the reference to the date of the notice there were substituted a reference to the date on which the appeal was abandoned or dismissed.(iii) If any person makes any statement which he knows to be false for the purpose of procuring, whether for himself or any other person, the grant of a firearm certificate under this section, or the variation or renewal of a firearm certificate he shall be guilty of an offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding two thousand shillings or to both. Cancel Gun License in Kenya
Applications for self-protection are mostly approved when the applicant’s status exposes them to danger.
What does it take to own a gun?
Owning a firearm in Kenya is a luxury and it will cost you between Sh100, 000 and Sh350, 000 when purchased legally.
Short guns may cost you between Sh160, 000 and Sh350, 000.
In order to enjoy the freedom of walking around with a gun, one must meet these four crucial requirements which include;
· Be 21 years old and above
· Must be trained in handling firearms
· Should have a clear criminal record
· Should be mentally stable and of sane mind.
Despite meeting the requirements, the civilians’ choice of guns is limited.
According to the Act, civilians cannot be given firearms used by security organs, for example, Ak47, MP5 and G3.
Any civilian found with the mentioned types of guns will face life imprisonment as proposed by the 2015 Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments) Bill. Cancel Gun License in Kenya
How to apply for a gun
One has to first express interest of owning a gun by making an application to the officer in charge of licensing firearms.
Then fill in application forms from the Chief Licensing Officer at the firearms office, Nairobi.
You have to get a certificate of good conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI), submit the application form at a nearby police station at fee of Sh2000.
You will then undergo vetting by the National Intelligence Service (NIS) and be vetted again by the Firearms Licensing Board. FLB will either reject or approve your application.
If the board approves your application, your name will be sent to the Inspector General of Police who will again approve or reject the application.
If the IG approves it, FLB will issue the applicant with a license which is renewable annually.
When a person loses their firearm(s) or ammunition gets destroyed, they should report to the nearest police station immediately. Failure to which they will be liable to one-year imprisonment or pay a fine not exceeding Sh10,000.
When the person licensed to have a gun dies, the family should immediately inform the police who will surrender it to the Nairobi based firearms bureau.
If a family member wants to possess the firearm, then they will undergo the application procedure. Cancel Gun License in Kenya
Why application may be rejected
An application to own a gun might be rejected if the applicant
· Is insane
· Is temperamental
· Cannot handle or store a gun safely
Reasons for revocation of gun license
·Misusing a gun while drunk
·Storing it carelessly that may endanger others
·Removing the gun’s serial number
·When one fails to renew their licence
·When the gun holder is believed to be a threat to public safety and peace
One can appeal to the Inspector General for their case to be reviewed if the license is revoked.