- 1 You May also Like
- 2 How to Obtain a Certificate of Good Health in Kenya
License to Manufacture of Drugs for Sale in Kenya
- 3.0.1 Procedure
- 3.0.2 Required Documents for Medical and Dental Practitioners Internship Licence
- 3.0.3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 3.0.4 Eligibility
- 3.0.5 Fees
- 3.0.6 Documents to Use
- 3.0.7 Processing Time
- 3.0.8 Instructions
- 3.0.9 Required Information
- 3.0.10 Need for the Document
- 3.0.11 Information which might help
- 3.0.12 External Links
- 3.0.13 Others
Doctors and dentists aspiring to practice in Kenya must comply with the statutory requirements for registration and licensing. Failure to obtain the necessary documentations constitutes an offence under section 22 of the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Act. Detailed information on documentation can be accessed via the Board’s website and from the Board’s offices. In this article let us see Apply for Medical and Dental Practitioners Internship Licence in Kenya
(A) Who is eligible?
- Doctors and dentists who have been trained in Kenya and have successfully completed internship;
- Doctors and dentists who qualify for Reciprocal recognition as prescribed within the East African Community (EAC) Partner states;
- Doctors and dentists who have passed internship qualifying examinations and successfully undertaken internship;
- Doctors and dentists who have passed Pre-registration Examinations;
- Doctors and dentists who have attained the basic minimum requirements for admission to the public universities in Kenya for the same degree and have qualified from medical schools outside the EAC and have passed the Board’s Assessment procedures as provided for in the Medical Practitioners and Dentists (Registration, Licensing, Assessment and Internship) Rules under the Act.
- Registration requirements for Medical & Dental Practitioners
- Registration requirements for Medical & Dental Institutions
- Registration requirements for Internship Training Centres
- Internship requirements for Medical & Dental Practitioners
- Temporary Licence for Foreign Doctors
- Licensing requirements for Medical & Dental Practitioners
Eligibility to undergo internship is as prescribed by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board in accordance with the Laws of Kenya. All applicants must produce relevant academic certificates and transcripts. In addition the following must be satisfied:-
- Evidence of having completed an undergraduate course in a recognized medical or dental school in Kenya
- Doctors qualified from Medical and Dental Schools within the EAC region and who qualify for reciprocal recognition
- Doctors who, having attained the minimum requirement for admission to universities in Kenya, qualify from outside the country and pass the internship qualifying examinations set by the Board
- Evidence of having signed the Hippocratic Oath
All applicants who meet the criteria will be issued with an internship license, which is a mandatory requirement before commencement of internship.
NOTE: – The Board reserves the right to turn down an application for a licence. It is illegal to do internship without an internship license. – Medical and Dental Practitioners Internship Licence
Required Documents for Medical and Dental Practitioners Internship Licence
- Copy of ID/Passport
- Coloured passport size photograph
- Evidence of passing Board Internship Qualifying Exam and letter from Commission of University Education(foreign trained)
- Must appear in the list submitted by deans of Accredited National Medical/Dental Schools
- Evidence of having completed Medical/Dental Training in an institution within the EAC that qualifies for reciprocal recognition.
- Copy of posting letter from the Ministry of Health
- Log book should be downloaded from http://www.medicalboard.co.ke/resources_page/publications
Office Locations & Contacts
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board
Woodlands Road off Lenana Road, Nairobi
P.O. Box 44839 00100
Tel: 020-2728752 / 2711478 / 2724994
Mobile: +254 720 771 478/ +254 738 504 112
Fax: +254 20 2724938
Medical/ dental graduates
Internship License fee Kshs.5, 000
Documents to Use
The process takes a maximum of two (2) weeks
Every doctor is required to undergo an internship training program for a period of one (1) year to be conducted on a rotational basis comprising of three (3) months each in the four (4) main disciplines including medicine, surgery, paediatrics and child health, obstetrics and gynaecology as follows;-
- In the discipline of surgery, a period of 3 months with sufficient exposure to ENT, Opthalmology and Pathology;
- In the discipline of Medicine, a period of three (3) months with sufficient exposure to mental health and HIV management;
- In the field of paediatrics and child health for a period of three (3) months; and
- In the field of obstetrics & genecology for a period of three (3) months.
- Other additional disciplines as may become necessary and as recommended by the Board.
Every Dentist is required to undergo an internship training program for a period of one (1) year to be conducted on a rotational basis comprising of three (3) months each in the four (4) main disciplines as follows;-
- oral and maxillofacial surgery including oral medicine and/or oral pathology;
- conservative dentistry and prosthetics;
- orthodontics and paediatric dentistry, and
- Full Names
- Date of Birth
- Mobile No
- K.C.S.E Mean Grade
- Others if not K.C.S.E
- Degree, Diploma or Licence held (if degree not in English provide official translation)
- University Admission NO
- Year of Qualification
- Name of Medical/Dental School, address, code and email
- Name of Internship Training Centre, address, code and email
Need for the Document
Internship is a period of supervised practical experience for medical/ dental graduates when they serve in the hospitals for specified periods before registration. During this period, the graduates have an opportunity to consolidate their knowledge, skills and attitudes to enable them be competent practitioners.
Information which might help
The interns shall be able to:-
- Consolidate their knowledge, skills and attitudes to enable them to be competent medical or dental practitioners.
- Acquire knowledge of commonly used drugs and their rational use, be conversant with the National Essential Drugs List and know the Dangerous Drugs & Poisons Act and its application.
- Utilize the current Ministry of Health Standard Treatment Guidelines in patient management
Responsibilities of an intern
These include the following:-
- Clerking patients
- Performing relevant investigations
- Guiding patients and relatives with regards to diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.
- Documenting and regularly updating patients notes
- Writing accurate and informative case summaries.
- Presenting cases concisely, coherently and competently during ward rounds, grand rounds or any other appropriate fora.
- Participating in continuing professional development activities
- Appropriate handing over patients
- Reporting to and consulting with the supervisor
- Maintaining professional demeanor and conduct
- Participating in triaging patients
- Performing any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Interns will be expected to go on leave at the end of the internship except under special circumstances in which case they will have to compensate for the time away.
On completion of internship the practitioner is supposed to apply for registration to the Board. Registration will be subject to successful completion of internship as evidenced by the completed assessment forms and signed log books and reports from the internship training centers.
The Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board is established under Cap 253 of the Laws of Kenya, with the mandate to regulate the practice of Medicine and Dentistry. It has the following roles among others: –
- Assist the intern to attain full potential during internship
- Provide the necessary guidance to the intern
- Liaise with employers and supervisors of the intern to ensure that he or she has enabling work environment.
- Supervise the process of internship through visits to the internship training centers.
- Approve new internship training centers.
- Ensure that the required standards at all internship training centers are maintained.
- Verify completion of internship training and register those successful as medical and dental practitioners.