- 1 You May also Like
- 2 STEPS TO GET DIAMOND MARK PERMIT IN KENYA
How to Obtain a Diamond Export Permit in Kenya
- 3.0.1 Required Documents
- 3.0.2 Office Locations & Contacts
- 3.0.3 Fees
- 3.0.4 Validity – Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya
- 3.0.5 Processing Time
- 3.0.6 Required Information
- 3.0.7 Need for the Document
- 3.0.8 Information which might help
- 3.0.9 Other uses of the Document/Certificate – Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya
How to Apply for Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya. Wondering how much it costs for a vehicle transfer in Kenya? Below are the transfer fees applied by TIMS Kenya NTSA, and they vary depending on the engine capacity. Those automobiles ranging from 1201 to1500cc will pay 2065/= for transfers. Vehicles of 1501-1700 cc pay 2410 as transfer fees.
- Obtain a duly transfer from “C” from the Road Transport offices in Times Tower, Nairobi, Customs House, Mombasa or the District Commissioners office.
- Fill and sign it
- Attach copies of the following;
- The logbook: one is expected to fill up the first vacant ‘change’ giving his/her full name, address and signature.
- Copies of National Identity card or passport of both buyer and seller or a Certificate of Business Registration in the case of corporate bodies.
- Valid insurance cover.
- Both purchase tax and transfer fee in accordance with the engine capacity rating of the vehicle.
- PIN cards of both seller and buyer.
After you have completed the application form, forward it, together with relevant supporting documents and the appropriate fee to the Road Transport Offices at Times Tower, Nairobi and Customs House, Mombasa or at any District Commissioners Offices.
Transfer for Individuals
Copies ofNational identification card (ID) for both buyer and seller.PIN certificate for both buyer and seller.
Transfer for Companies
Copies ofCertificate of incorporationPIN certificate for both buyer and seller.
Transfer for Business
Copies ofCertificate of Business RegistrationPIN certificate for both buyer and seller.
- Copy of valid Insurance Cover.
- Original Registration Book (log book)
- If the owner is deceased letters of Administration
Office Locations & Contacts
Registrar of Motor Vehicles,
Driving License Section 3rd Floor
Physical Address: Times Towers,Haile Selassie Avenue
Postal Address: P.0. Box 48240 – 00100, GPO Nairobi Kenya
Tel: +254 (20) 2252299 ext 33173.
s.Fax: +254 20 234 5465
Address: P.O.Box 30007 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
- Application Fee: No charge.
- Transfer fee: Ksh 625
- License Fee:
- Not Exceeding 1000cc (kshs 1660), 1001-1200cc(kshs 1890), 1201-1500 ccc(kshs 2065), 15001-1700cc(kshs 2410), 1701-2000cc(kshs 2695), 2001-2500cc(kshs3845) , 2501-3000cc(kshs 5055) , 3001…and above cc(kshs 5915)
- A trailer less than four wheels (kshs 1030)
- A trailer with four wheels or more ( kshs 1890 ) ,
- Tractor (kshs 1030)
Validity – Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya
Validity is 1 year
Maximum Processing Time: 5 days.
- Full names of both buyer and seller
- Signature of both seller and buyer
- National card (ID) For both buyer and seller.
- PIN certificate for both buyer and seller
- Certificate of incorporation.
- Certificate of Business Registration
Need for the Document
A buyer of a second hand motor vehicle is expected to apply for transfer of change of ownership to their name within 14 days of purchase
Information which might help
- Use the right application form. Before completing it, read the notes on the application form carefully
- Ensure that all relevant parts in the form are duly completed
- Remember to sign the form
- Check if your address on the form is clear and correct
- Ensure that your application is accompanied by all necessary supporting documents
Other uses of the Document/Certificate – Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya
To a certain ownership of motor vehicle or trailer
You can transfer ownership of a motor vehicle online through the National Transport Safety Authority (NTSA) website.
Below is how to transfer a logbook:
Register to TIMS
- Go to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Both parties (buyer and seller) have to create individual accounts.
- Click on REGISTER AN ACCOUNT and chose the registration options (individual, car dealer, financial institution or company)
- Fill in the details as required
- To receive an SMS alert for the secret code that confirms successful transaction, ensure you click on the subscribe SMS option at the top right corner
How to make the transfer
- Click on VEHICLE REGISTRATION to access the menu
- Click on APPLY FOR TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
- Click on CREATE NEW button and key in the vehicle registration number
- Click on INQUIRE to find information about the vehicle
- Then click VIEW to get more information
- UPLOAD a scanned copy of the logbook
- Under New Vehicle, the seller should select whether they are individual, company, dealer or financial institution.
- Key in national ID number if making the transfer as an individual
- If transacting as a company, key in PIN number the click the ADD option
- Proceed to security verification, select MOBILE
- Select SEND VERIFICATION CODE then enter the code you will receive on your phone
- Once the seller clicks SUBMIT, the buyer will receive notification via SMS that the vehicle has been transferred to them and that they are required to either accept or decline the transfer.
To accept the transfer – Transfer of Vehicle ownership in Kenya
- Log in to https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Click on VIEW to see the vehicle details
- Under security verification, select VERIFICATION MODE and click SEND to get the code on your phone
- Key in the verification and either ACCEPT or DECLINE the transfer (decline will revert the vehicle back to the owner)
- If you click on ACCEPT, fill in the required information
- Then click on SUBMIT for the application to be sent to NTSA for processing.
Your logbook will be ready within seven working days.