A KRA PIN is a Personal Identification Number used while doing business with Kenya Revenue Authority, other Government agencies and service providers.
Personal includes both individuals and artificial persons (i.e. company, club, Trust, etc.)
A sole proprietorship will use the proprietor?s individual PIN for all transactions.
Who should have a PIN?
You are required to have a PIN if you;
- Are employed
- Are in business
- Have rental income
- Wish to apply for a HELB Loan
- Want to perform any of the transactions listed below
When can I use the KRA PIN?
The most popular transactions that require PIN include:
- Registration of title, stamping of instruments by the Commissioner of Lands, and payment of Land Rent.
- Approval of plans, payment of water deposits, application for a business permit, payment of Land Rent by Local Authorities.
- Registration of Motor Vehicles, and licensing under the Traffic Act (Cap 403) by the Registrar of motor Vehicles.
- Registration of Business Names and Companies by the Registrars of Business names and companies.
- Trade licensing by the Ministry of Commerce.
- Application for Value Added Tax registration.
- Underwriting policies by Insurance Companies.
- To facilitate importation of goods, Customs clearing and forwarding at the offices of Commissioner of Customs and Excise.
- Payment of Deposits for power connections at Kenya Power and Lightning Co. Ltd.
- To facilitate all contracts for supply of goods and services to all Government Ministries and Public bodies.
KRA it’s an agency that collects taxes on behalf of the government of Kenya. KRA pin is a very essential document needed by all Kenyans in all transactions such as business banking, land transaction, employment, and HELB loan application among others. KRA has recently migrated from Integrated Tax Management System (ITMS) to the new iTax system since ITMS were blamed by users for being inefficient.
- National Identity Card
- Email address
KRA Pin Online Application Procedure
Step 1: Access to iTax System (KRA Pin Portal)
All you need is to click on https://itax.kra.go.ke or you can search on Google the word ‘iTax kra’ where you will get the portal link.
Step 2: New Pin Registration
If you are unregistered user and would like to register your pin, then on the right column you will see a link named New Pin Registration under the Unregistered Users. Click on the link to proceed.
Step 3: KRA Pin Application form
Once you have reached this point you will need to select the Taxpayer type you fit in the drop down field and the options available are:
- Individual – For personal, students, employees and entrepreneurs
- Non Individuals – For businesses and Companies
You will also be expected to select the mode of registration whether online form or upload form.
Step 4: Basic Information
You will be required to fill in your information on this form with accurate details and upon completion you click ‘Next’ in order to proceed to the next section.
Step 5: Taxpayers Obligation Details
KRA has added new improvement on the way you will need to meet the tax obligation requirements. In the previous ITMS, you were only expected to tick a check box. However the new iTax system, you are expected to put the registration date to your tax obligation that you have selected.
Step 6: Source of income
iTax system has brought in a new requirement that will expect all taxpayers to mention their source of income:
- Employment Income
- Business Income
- Rental Income
Step 7: Agent Details
KRA has introduced a new regulation on the pin registration which will require that you have an authorized Tax Agent to submit your application on behalf meaning you simply can’t finish the pin registration process by yourself.
Once every field has been filled with correct information you will be able to submit it. However the event you had forgotten to fill a field, an error table will appear and inform you the sections you haven’t completed before you proceed.
Step 8: KRA Pin Certificate download and printing
When you successfully submit your information, you will see a message notifying you, ‘Registration Application has been submitted successfully’ and your pin will be displayed on the screen and you’ll see a link labelled ‘click here and download Pin Certificate’ it will allow you to download your new pin and print it.
Activate Suspended PIN
Was your PIN suspended?
Watch our tutorial on how to activate it and visit iTax to activate.Visit iTax
Apply for PIN
Visit iTax and get a KRA PIN today.Visit iTax